Core Mechanics come from the Game world – what are the mechanics that a user goes through while playing a game – and the course looks at how there mechanics apply to learning.
We’re going to look at the “ABC’s of How we Learn” – a book our TA’s and Dan Schwartz wrote. TAs: Kristen Blair & Jessica Tsang
A is for Analogy
Learn from examples
H is for Hands On
Educations works nest when all the partes are working:
Teacher <-> Students <-> Parents
F is for Feedback
Not all feedback is good… be carefull or thoughtfull
Readings – focus on methods and findings – most people focus on introduction and conclusion – we’re going to flip it.
Assignment – Graph
- Upload to Dropbox section in Coursework before Friday 7am.
- PowerPoint – name file with your last name
- We were shown pairs of words: Synonims, Opposites, Generative words
- Try to memorize words
- Write down words you remember
- Check your results
- Submit results
- Draw a graph with the data
Go to one of the links below and explore one of the simulations.
- http://pbskids.org/games (pre-school)
- http://phet.colorado.edu (HS/College)
Talk about the:
- Learning objectives
- Did the designers do well?
- How could they improve?
Good class – still deciding if I’m going to take it or not…